You know I see and hear this all the time. People hear this buzz about twitter and decide… I should check out this social media tool. So they sign up build a profile and put out there first tweet usually saying something like "This is my first tweet, I do not know what I'm doing." This is fine and a good place to start, but I thought I would share a few tips to help the new tweople understand twitter better. I am going to share a few basics.
Twitter is just a tool to connect, build friends and share thoughts and ideas with like mind people. So one thing I'd recommend doing is making sure you have all the things you need on your profile to get started connecting with people.
- Choose a short username - since twitter only allows you to post 140 characters you want a name that is short. This is helpful when people start retweeting your posts.
- Create an interesting Bio - early on many people are not going to know you so it is important to fill out your bio and make it interesting. People want to connect with people with similar interests. Check out @GuyKawasaki as an example
- Make sure you have a headshot photo - this is important because people want to know who you are and only want to connect with other people. There are a lot of spam accounts on twitter so you want to build trust by adding a good photo.
- Add your location - this will help you get found more often. Being new to twitter, you want to be found easily. Again, this also helps in the trust area.
- Be interesting - or people will unfollow you or they will never follow you in the first place.
Although these are beginners tips, you'd be surprised how many people that follow me and do not meet these 5 standards for basic twitter success. I will try to put out a few more twitter tips in the future to help you understand the importance of twitter for your business. Stay tuned!